QRS Pedal Solenoid Issues

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 12:39:51 MST 2007

I have this Hallet & Davis mini-grand on the floor with a QRS system
factory installed.  Saved a lot of time but dialing it in is very
much necessary.  Pedal lock screws on "pitman" loose and it dialed
itself way down... etc.

It was played all day and it started having pedaling
deficiencies.  Tried putting a hand on it, ouch--hot.  It felt like
it was grinding to get down to the bottom of its travel.

I noted that the pedal bar was at about a 5 to 7 degrees off axis to
perpendicular to the solenoid.  The solenoid was operating about one
inch back from the end of the bar.  I cut a six inch piece of wood
7/8" to wider at a 5 degree angle painted it and mounted the solenoid
to it.  I then turned up the power to the solenoid and now it is
playing the Schumann Symphonic Etudes quite well from the 2002 Piano
E Competition.

Question, does anyone specialize in these QRS systems?  Is that
grinding feel normal when very hot?  Obviously the factory install
was perfunctory and nothing was idealized (angle, point of incidence
to one side of the bar, loose set nuts etc.).  Any other heads up on this?

Andrew Anderson