Soundboard mass

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Nov 26 18:43:15 MST 2007

> A light bridge would be short, narrow, or have holes drilled in it. Those
> short bridges in the Steinway trebles contribute to the already
> problematic likelihood of getting a CC assembly stiff enough up there,
> especially with the panel thinned at the edges! Low mass doesn't show up
> as a problem in the treble until you get beyond a certain stiffness.
> That's why I said I thought the short bridge was a stiffness, rather than
> a mass problem earlier.
>
> Ron N

Hi Ron,

Not sure I follow this.  If I read correctly, you say that as you increase
the stiffness up in the treble (for example), you need to also keep the mass
high.  If that is so, I don't follow the logic with the S&S example.  If
stiffness tends to be low with a CC board up in the treble, wouldn't it
follow that we would WANT a less massive bridge?  I know I'm missing it
here, but could you help me?

Thanks,
William R. Monroe