Soundboard mass decisions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 08:04:28 MST 2007

> How does one try out what kind of weight to install and their locations without damaging the piano?
>
> I tried the vise-grips on a Mason & Hamlin A that I'm trying to finish (new board and everything) and I get more sustain but I don't want to drill holes and install weights and then have to move them around. Is there some kind of basic procedure I should try first BEFORE I decide where to drill and install wht weights?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel Carey, RPT

I attach bridges to soundboards with glue and screws with
soundboard buttons between the ribs. One of the later benefits
of the method is that it provides handy attach points for mass
still drill screw holes between ribs (if you can reach it) to
play with weights. What doesn't end up with a weight can still
get a screw and button to cover the hole without "damaging"
the piano.
Ron N