steinway consignment

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 27 09:11:19 MST 2007

The store where I work has sold consignment pianos for many years.
Recently, we got into trouble because of the contract we were using.  As
David Love said, a fixed price is better.  Our old contract said that we
would take a 25% commission on the sale of the piano.  We would tell the
customer a selling price, which they would have to agree on, and the
contract would be signed.  We would try to sell the piano for more that the
agreed price, of course.  If we got more than the agreed selling price, the
customer would get the same amount we agreed to in the contract that was
signed.  Ok, sounds right. But what if the price agreed to doesn't sell?
In our case, the piano was a G2 Yamaha with Disklavier  The store got an
offer for less than the agreed price.  We phoned the customer, and he
agreed to accept less for it.  The piano was delivered. Then, we got a call
from the consignee.  He said he wanted the amount we previously agreed to
IN THE CONTRACT.  No matter that he agreed to the lower price on the phone,
he had a signed contract in hand, and was prepared to go to court.  No
matter that the Disklavier needed repairs after delivery, and was likely
known to the previous owner.  We had to pay him the agreed amount because
we didn't want to waste time in court.  Needless to say, we were stung, and
we beat a hasty path to our lawyer's office to write a new contract form.
Now, our contract specifies to the consignee exactly how much we will pay.
I don't have all the details so I can't say what happens when the price has
to be lowered to sell.  I assume that a new contract would have to be
signed.

Paul McCloud
PianoSD.com
San Diego