David Andersen's whole-note tuning

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Nov 28 09:13:06 MST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:

> David,
>
> I loved your class at Kansas City on tuning primarily by fourths,
> no temp strip, unisons as you go, with fourths beating a nice, slow
> "agua" sound.
Yeah, baby...

> I've tried this on some 7' pianos recently, and in the bottom
> octave or so, all I can hear in fourths is a loud, staccato beat
> about 10 cps or more. It's just a machine-gun sound, that I don't
> know how to interpret.
That's not what to listen for. Sounds like you're still putting it
sharp (hence the partial-matching machine gun.) In the bottom,
sometimes you have to wait for 4-5-6 seconds before the inharmonic
garbage subsides and the slow roll of the 4th peeks through the
clouds. In most pianos by the time I'm tuning A1 and below I'm mostly
listening to double and triple octaves.

> Any tips?
One more...in the bottom of the piano, tune the note low, and come UP
to the "stillpoint." The double octave, on a good piano, should be
beatless and pacific.

> --Cy--
Hope this helps....
DA