Kimball Question

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Nov 28 20:51:05 MST 2007

Brian,

You'll likely receive all manner of answers here, but if I had a client shopping for a piano and they said, "Kimball," I would encourage them to look elsewhere.  Console or otherwise.  There are exceptions, of course, but sight unseen, I'd never recommend a Kimball console for someone readying to learn a new language (music).

To say nothing of the whole, "for a Beginner" phrase.  If someone wants their child to take piano seriously, they owe it to that child to be equally serious in selecting a piano.  Selecting a piano that won't be too big a loss if they quit, is absolutely the most wrong-headed approach one can take IMNSHO.  As an associate of mine said to me, "I can guarantee that I can get your kid to stop taking lessons, just let me pick the piano."

As far as value, if the piano is what I would expect for a Kimball console (musically inadequate), I would recommend against its purchase, no $$ value needed.

William R. Monroe

  According to Larry Fine's book, a 1990 Kimball console is a pretty good piano for a beginner.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with a Kimball model 433?  Any inherent problems with this model?

  Brian P. Doepke