What's the best way to check bearing on a strung piano, and what's "ideal", please.

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 08:21:58 MST 2007

     I'll admit that I know little of this, and have,
in the past, just been happy if it "looks pretty
good".
     But I'm about to restore the finest upright I've
ever seen: a  1902
Ivers and Pond scale 19, 56"  tall,  and want to be
more
"scientifical".
     It does have bearing all along the bridge, but I
wonder if it's
 enough, or even too much ? ( There seems to be plenty
in the bass, also. )
I was planning to re-crown the board ( a la D.L.
Bullock's system, which hes' successfully used for
years --and I'll be very happy to share ) but don't
want to "overdo it" !
     In any event, this seems an ideal opportunity to
share
"before and after" specs with everyone, about how well
this system works,

So:
     I have the brass thingee from Schaff, and feeler
guages, the dial indicator bearing checker with three
feet ( also from Schaff )   and an old busted Lowell
guage. ( Which I'd get another of, if convinced it was
worth it. )
     Which of these should I use, and what would be
acceptable measurements for a HUGE old upright like
this? Can I determine it with the brass thingee and
the feeler guages, or the dial indicator ?
Or do I need the angle of deflection indicated by the
Lowell guage ?
( Sorry for being such a dope. )

     Thump