Upright Hammer Spring Replacement

Gary Fluke gary.fluke at verizon.net
Thu Nov 29 16:31:08 MST 2007

Terry,

I've recently replaced the spring cords on two old Yamaha consoles.  I know you are doing the springs, but my job entailed removing all of the hammer flanges and leaving the hammers attached by the bridle straps, which I guess you will have to do, depending on the design of the action.  Replacing the cords is a time consuming fiddle, taking longer than the springs, I should think.  At any rate, the first piano took ten hours and the second eleven hours shop time.  The cords are a real pain to glue on.  I have found that pinning the second glued end of each cord is the best way to get it to stay attached until the adhesive firms up.

People are buying these Yamaha's without any idea of what they are getting themselves into (like I did the first time I bought one).

Gary Fluke
Snohomish, WA