Enough Laminae for a Few Bridges

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 29 16:53:28 MST 2007

Driftmaster was definitely a bargain. Don't remember what I paid for it, but yeah, it was worth it. I get close to dead-on consistent thickness laminations with maybe 10 to 15 seconds between each cut. Just twirl the little wheel the same number of turns each time and lock the fence down and cut, cut, cut! It really does work well. I'm very happy with it.

Below is a picture cutting some maple laminations. How do you like my new feather board? The wheel is pressed against the wood right at the blade. The horizontal clamp towards the rear keeps the wheel from touching the blade when the wood is not there. A little grand keyframe spring provides the pressure. I got the idea from one of Ron Overs slides in his presentation in Australia in September. Seems to work quite well. Looks like I need a little wheel alignment though!

Check that out. No foolin' - I cut a 7-foot long lamination like that. The original piece of maple was about 5 mm thick. Ended up with two laminations just over 2 mm each and lost just shy of a millimeter of wood to the blade.

Cuttin' ebony on the Driftmaster. I added the 2"x2" square aluminum tube to the fence face for these laminations. It allows me to get the ceramic Laguna guides right down to the wood.

This was the real pain in the a$$ on this project. Remember that big hunk of ebony I posted a while back? That think looked like it came out from the bottom of some Pleistocene peat bog - not a square corner or flat edge to be found. Squaring this nasty hunk was a learning experience!

Terry Farrell