Whadayathink of this piano sound?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Nov 30 05:13:43 MST 2007

Hi Kent.

I must confess myself not too awfully surprised that it turned out to be
a Nossaman.  I meant really that the sound was reminiscent of some
instruments I've heard in very good condition from pre ...say 1870's.  I
suppose that fits a bit when you first think about it. He is after a
very responsive sound as I understand it, requiring low hammer
density... perhaps weight as well. I dont mean to overstate that
similarity .... anymore then I do when I have mentioned the Stuart
instrument can remind one of Forte sounds of old.  And I decided to take
one quick listen to one of your files and give you a seat of the pants
response. I figured perhaps thats what you wanted.. A gut response
honest as those usually are.  The close in microphones revealed a
wavering the unisons that I mentioned. I dont think this is a tuning
issue, if its what I think it is.  I run into this kind of falseness
often. and its hard to get a finger on exactly what causes it... tho I
find many techs who immediately start banging away at the bridge when
they hear this kind of thing in attempt to get a more signwave like
clarity.  But thats another discussion entirely.

Anyways... if you leave the files up for a couple days.... I'd like to
listen to them all a bit more closely now that I know what the
instrument is.

Cheers
RicB

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Richard Brekne wrote:
     > Sounded reminicent of an older piano type in the first file.  Not
     > unpleasant at all... but a bit thin.  Unisons were kinda wavery.
     > Just listened to the first file one time quickly before leaving for
     > work this morning.  Cool blind test. It will be interesting to see
     > what it ends up being.

    What did you have in mind when you said "older piano type"?