Steinway Stereo

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 08:27:03 MST 2007

At 04:30 AM 11/30/2007, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Subject: Steinway Stereo Anyone?
>Message: 10
>
>Hi All,
>
>Have a look here:
>
>http://www.pianoforte.co.za/steinway-lyngdorf.html
>
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.

Don,

When the current owners (from the world of finance) bought Steinway
at what at the time was thought to be an unjustifiably high price,
thinking in the industry was that they were trying to get their hands
on the brand name so that they could license it to non-piano
products. There was no other way to generate the kind of return on
investment from a piano manufacturer that these people usually look
for. It looks like they finally got around to doing it.

The Steinway family when they owned the firm were constantly
approached by manufacturers wishing to license the Steinway name for
other products - and they always refused. I guess CBS and then the
Birminghams had other ideas - or no idea at all, judging by the
disastrous results of their "stewardships". Considering the state of
today's piano market, this course of action is a real no-brainer for
someone with a background in finance. Assuming that "Steinway" still
has the kind of cachet that they are counting on...

Israel Stein