RCT vs Tune Lab

Robert Mihlfeld robertmihfeld at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 30 15:55:21 MST 2007

I have followed this thread with a great deal of interest since I returned to this business about 4 1/2 years ago using RCT. About 2 years ago I became curious about TuneLab when Alan Bernard spoke so highly of it. I downloaded it from Bob Scotts website and installed it alongside RCT on the same PDA.

It was a little difficult to learn to calibrate but once that was done it was smooth sailing from there. There were some things that I noticed where TL was superior to RCT. The first and to me the greatest was the spectrum display. In the high treble you can clearly see each string speak. This helped me greatly since I had been having trouble clearly hearing when the unisons became pure. In the course of the past 1 1/2 years that I have been using TL my ear has become trained to hear these unisons better and I seldom need this help, but when I do it really helps.

The second thing that I really like is the spectrum display during pitch-raises. With RCT it is sometimes difficult or impossible to get the spinner to respond to the note especialy if the note is very low. After I had been using TL for about a year I went back to RCT for a pitch-raise and I abandoned it about 1/3 of the way through because of the inability of RCT to display the note. When using TL you can see the string speak even if it is 100 cents low and all you have to do is bring it up while watching the display. It couldn't be simpler!

The strength of the SAT is it's battery life but the very real weaknesses are it's difficulty reading the display in the high treble, the fact that you have to resample each piano if you don't carry around a log book to keep track of what tuning is on what memory number, it's size makes it difficult to keep in a toolbox, it's limited memory, and having to use the foot switch to move from note to note. When it came out it was the cats meow but with the advent of PDAs it has become obsolete. I do have my flame suit on and a pretty thick skin so flame away!

Sure, PDA based ETDs have very real weaknesses but I find that they are the best alternative. In my opinion the best ETD is TuneLab. If I were starting back into this business or just trying an ETD for the first time I hope some kind soul would suggest trying the TL. With the option of downloading a free trial it is the best way to get one's foot wet.

My two centavos,
Flame Suit On!

Robert (Pat) Mihlfeld
Farmington Pianos

Wayne Walker <wayne.w at musicstop.com> wrote:   Message    st1\:* {  BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui) }   @font-face {  font-family: Bradley Hand ITC; } @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; } P.MsoNormal {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman" } A:link {  COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink {  COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited {  COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {  COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } P.MsoAutoSig {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } LI.MsoAutoSig {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman";
 mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } DIV.MsoAutoSig {  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } SPAN.EmailStyle17 {  COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose } DIV.Section1 {  page: Section1 }   Hey Dean,
 Would the damaged screen be another repair job for CA glue, sorry  couldn't resist. Try SAT 111 I have one ordered to replace my SAT  1.

  Wayne Walker
 Piano Tuner /  Technician

Musicstop Acoustic Piano  Service
 264 Herring Cove  Road