Piano Trivia for the Day

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 1 16:22:05 MDT 2007

Google sent me to a site which says:
Glenn Gould's piano chair is a story in itself, and Kevin Bazzana tells
it in his biography /Wondrous Strange: The Life and Art of Glenn Gould/.
Bert Gould customized a folding chair for his son in 1953 (what used to
be called a bridge chair, for use at a cardtable), cutting several
inches off each leg and adding a bracket and half-turnbuckle
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnbuckle> so that the height of each leg
could be adjusted. Gould used the chair for the rest of his life. In the
1959 film /Glenn Gould: On the Record/, the chair can be seen (in
Columbia's Manhattan recording studio) with white tape strengthening the
intersections of legs and seat. In later photos the seat's stuffing is
spilling out from the back. Later still, the seat disappeared
altogether, leaving only a wooden frame.