Dampp-Chaser question

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 08:58:35 MDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:

>  My point in doing the <full> covers whenever possible, especially in the
> churches
>
> is the pianos aren't moved around like they are in a school or stage
>
> environment, they can be persuaded to keep them closed when not in use and
>
> the cover helps hold in the "conditioned air" whether it's dried or
>
> humidified.
>

> I've taken on the maintenance of a church piano which has the to-the-floor
> cover
> with a full DC system.
>

> On my first encounter, I removed the cover and it was overly warm and
> humid inside.
> I was there to tune for a performance and the piano was unstable as it
> acclimated to
> the new surroundings.  I removed the DC tank at the prompting of the music
> director.
> I told them to keep the cover off until after the performance on Saturday
> night (this
> was on Friday) so as not to put the piano out of tune.
>

> On my second visit, the piano was still overly warm. This is  100+ y/o
> building with
> the parish hall below the sanctuary, wooden floors. Again, the tuning took
> extra
> time while the piano acclimated.
>

> It must be the radiant heat rising from below and is trapped within the
> full cover.
> I think this cover has the opposite affect of what is desired. I have
> recommended
> replacing the full cover with a string cover because of all the pianos I
> tune with
> standard covers or string covers, there is not such a drastic change in
> environment
> and their piano didn't exhibit pitch stability as one would expect.
> Besides, it's big, bulky and weighs a ton.
>

> I recommended a string cover because they maintain the temperature fairly
> well
> in the winter. A string cover can stay on, providing it's insulating
> purpose through
> services and maybe performances and not experience such a change when
> removed.
> Also, the music people are not happy having to handle a heavy cover and
> would more enjoy the appearance of the piano without it.
>

> Anyone interested in a full cover for a Bosey Imp?
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Hi Jon,
Thanks for reinforcing my point that each installation should be very
specifically designed or tailored to the
institution/conditions/uses/personnel that the piano will be subjected to
and will be caring for it when a technician isn't present.
As I said the "one size fits all" approach has never appealed to me!
In the instances I presented where I installed the full drop covers, they
are all one story churches/w basements but those basement doors are kept
closed and the covers are removed about 1/2 hour prior to services. I have
had no negative reports from some VERY VERY picky pianists.

Mike
--
You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your
grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404