42

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 23:04:22 MDT 2007

On 10/3/07, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:

> I thought that was known as the "magic line".  Of course, having crossed
> it
> myself some years ago I had always hoped it was a myth.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos at comcast.net
> www.davidlovepianos.com

putting new plastic elbows in a Winter spinet purchased new by the
customer's mother in 1950, her mother's first major purchase after her high
school graduation in '48(my birthyear for those who may be curious). It had
only had one elbow replaced since new, she had taught piano on it for a
while in the late 50's early 60's. The current owner and 2 or 3 siblings all
took lessons on it and played it while growing up in the home. The mother
passed away about a year ago and daughter moved it to her home and had 2
more elbows break recently. I saw that they needed replacing as soon as I
opened it and "played" a couple of keys with my normal string setting touch
and the elbows broke immedietly, making my point. Most of the bridle straps
were intact but getting hard and brittle feeling so I replaced them for her
too while I had the action in the shop and also shaped the hammers. Kind of
a " as long as that drop action is out lets fix what needs fixing". I left
the plastic damper flanges alone, they could last for years, not a lot of
stress on them. The bridle straps probably would have been OK but  i gave
her the choice and she said yes and the same with the hammers.
Despite it being a Winter and considering the limitations of the brand,
there really isn't much other than what I listed above that one could call
"wrong" with it. Key bushings are in pretty good shape, backchecks, butts,
hammers , etc. are all quite good yet and very servicable. The only
"problem" I found was a missing kickboard spring other than the piano being
flat and the keys(plastic) being a deep tan color(dirty) .
I chose to remove the action for the elbow replacement due the the small
room it was in that was overcrowded with antiques. I barely had room to open
and dismantle the piano front to get at the action. It was one of those old
houses with the narrow room next to the living room, about 9X7 with antique
rockers, tables, and this piano in it. Also quite helpful were the
bloodhound and basset hound that kept wandering in to see how/what I was
doing, I could hear a couple more bloodhounds baying away in the basement. I
can't wait to go back for the pitchraise when they can all sing along!
<grin>

Mike

--
You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your
grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404