Jack Spring punchings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 15:14:31 MDT 2007

At 16:36 +0100 4/10/07, david at piano.plus.com wrote:

>Do most people here glue jack springs in place in the wippen?

It depends on the design of the action.  The shorter actions, with
the shorter spiral spring, are not designed to be glued and the
spring won't fall out, but the tall levers with the long spring are
meant to be glued into the lever body and will otherwise fall out
when the action is taken apart, and that's the only reason for doing
it, but they were glued in originally.  I'm speaking of German and
French actions.  Of five upright actions I have on the go at the
moment only one ( an unsigned action, probably Langer) has the short
spring without the glued-in bottom.  Of American practice I have very
little knowledge but a Steinway and a Sohmer I have both glued down
the spring.

JD