Hammer softening

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 5 08:33:30 MDT 2007

> I am going to try this. Can any of the chemists comment on substituting
> a different kind of alcohol? Everclear could be easier to get, or
> Isopropyl.
>
> *Dean*

This has been discussed on list probably as much as CA. Yes,
ethanol works just as well, and isn't nearly as immediately
lethal if you happen to accidentally drink your hammer
softener over a period of hours or days. It also shrinks
flanges just as well as methanol, and thins shellac (which is
also edible, incidentally), as a bonus.
Ron N