Hammer softening

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 5 12:40:18 MDT 2007

> Thanks for pointing out that this subject has been thoroughly discussed
> on the list.  However, my search of the archives, which I felt was
> rather exhaustive, did not come up with much about hammer softening at all.
>
> Gary Fluke

Not hammer softening, though it has come up, but rather the
fact that a less toxic alcohol than methanol works just as
well. The alcohol is just a wetting agent, breaking the
water's surface tension and allowing it to penetrate the
hammer felt or bushing cloth. The water does the actual work,
which is why steam also works well for softening hammers, and
incidentally more controllably.
Ron N