Broken Plate

ITUNEPIANO at aol.com ITUNEPIANO at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 17:48:42 MDT 2007

Never, Never raise a laminated Currier plate to A-440.  I've seen  two in my
life - One was already broken - the second was at A-440, so I tuned it  there,
after first warning the customer the plate may break during tuning,  and  the
plate may break in the future.   Remember the  distinctive look of this plate
so you will recognize it in the future.  The  giveaway is the smooth finish,
tuning pins separated by a large margin (to  spread out the tension, I
suppose) and the thick plate profile (best seen by the  bridges).   The piano was
junk before you tuned it, so you didn't harm  it much by breaking the plate!

Bob Maret,  RPT
Piano Technician