Walter 175 hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 07:38:16 MDT 2007

Last I knew they were Ronsen Wurzens.  You can tell by looking at the low
bass hammers and you should see some yellowish concentric circles moving in
toward the core.  I wouldn't use lacquer on these hammers if it can be
avoided.  I would start by filing the bass hammers (or the others for that
matter) lightly and then polishing them with up to 1000 grit backed paper.
That should be enough on that piano to bring out some shine.  If you feel
compelled to use lacquer don't use anything stronger than an 8:1 solution
and preferably only at the extremes (high treble, lowest bass).  Overall in
the bass I would really try and avoid saturating the hammer.  Maybe test by
putting a drop on the crown first.

That piano is designed to be a bit warm sounding and will not do well if you
try and turn it into something bright and loud.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com