S Corp.

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 20:33:02 MDT 2007

Marshall

Most of the questions you ask should be addressed to a CPA or tax lawyer. Financially it might not be worth becoming an S-corp until you start making more that $50 - $60,000 per year. That's because there are expenses involved in becoming an S-corp. I looked into this some time ago, and had lunch with both my lawyer and my accountant, (this was before my son became a CPA). They both had reasons for me to do it, and not do it. But the bottom line to not becoming an S-corp was the bottom line.?Unless you know enough about the law and taxes to do it yourself, you have to have pay a lawyer to set the corporation up, and you have to pay someone to do the accounting work for you.?So that's an expense right off the top that needs to be considered.

As Rob said, the best reason to become an S-corp is because of the liability. But even at that, if you have substantial investments, you can shield that money by having most of your investments in your wife's (or husbands) name alone. But there are consequences associated with that, too.

So again, the best advice I can give you is to get advice from both your lawyer and your accountant.

Good luck in school

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI