Walter 175 hammers

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Mon Oct 8 15:07:02 MDT 2007

I don't know what Renner hammers look like these days so from your description
I'm not sure which hammers this piano has. If the moldings are dark-colored they
are Abel. If the moldings are maple then the hammers are Ronsen. If the felt is
Wurzen then the name "Wurzen" will be stamped on the sides of several hammers.

Please remember that these pianos are not supposed to be bright and/or hard
sounding. They are supposed to be somewhat on the warm side. In fact, if you try
to take them up too far the tone, especially in the bass, is going to get some
knarly and nasty sounding.

If this piano is in the typical dealer's showroom the first thing I would do is
to try and get it moved to an appropriately sized room. These pianos are not
intended to be used in large, open rooms and they can sound weak and overly soft
when compared to other pianos having higher tensioned scales, stiffer soundboard
systems and heavier, harder hammers. Put them into a room the size of the
typical household living room or small music room, however, and they sing with a
tonal palette that is quite satisfying (and one those other pianos are
completely incapable of delivering).

I agree with David on this; avoid strong chemical hardeners if you can. Frankly,
if the hammers are using Wurzen felt I would decline to harden them under any
conditions but, obviously, that choice is between you and the dealer involved.
If you do use a chemical hardener, use it judiciously and gently remembering
that once the piano is located in someone's home you may well be asked to take
it out.

Del