School districts and markup

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 10 03:58:25 MDT 2007

In this free market economy you are entitled to make a dime. How much profit you need is a personal decision.  Institutions  purchase in quantity, thus that are accustomed to getting sizeable discounts on their purchases. Making a purchase requisition for 200 tunings deserves a sizeable discount. Making a sale for 1 piano truck does not warrant a huge discount, IMHO. But again, it's personal decision on how much you need this sale. If you are happy with 20% over cost ( and shipping) so bit. If it's worth more to charge close to the suggested retail, don't loose any sleep over it. You are entitled to a reasonable profit.
I've done these type of sales in a couple of different ways. If it is a bid situation and all that I have do is to call in the order, have it dropped shipped to them ( and they do the installation), then sure, give them a nice discount. You are making a decent dollar on a phone call or two. But if you have to do the installation in addition to the sale, then you have to plan for your time and effort to get it installed.
Tom Servinsky