School districts and markup

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 07:46:01 MDT 2007

On 10/10/07, Michelle Smith <michelle at smithpianoservice.com> wrote:

>  Thanks Jim.
>

> I actually posted yesterday evening but it didn't show up for a while.  I
> was, however, up at 4:40 this morning dealing with a 5-year-old issue.
> Sheesh!
>

> Have a good one!
>

> Michelle Smith
>

>  ------------------------------

Hi Michelle,
I have tuned for several school districts over the years although ironically
never the one I live in(go figure)! Against the advice of my older, more
experienced, wiser bretheren in the trade I offered a discount which I
thought was appreciated when I began doing school work. I found it wasn't
and my services were taken for granted as schools/teachers/directors are
wont to do. I was called frequently at the last minute expected to
re-arrange my schedule to accomodate theirs and still offer the discount. I
eventually learned what my colleages had tried to tell me, never discount to
anyone! I still do on occasion, in a case by case basis. Usually only on
purchases of items, cutting some percentage points or including some labor.
In some cases offering a package deal. In rare instances I'll discount a
tuning for a mention in the printed program.

For instance in the sale you are asking about you might offer a percentage
off with installation at your regular labor rate as a package. Explain that
installing piano trucks isn't as simple as it appears and really should be
done by someone with experience installing them and with knowledge of
pianos. I have done the same thing when I sold piano trucks, Dampp-Chasers
w/covers, etc.
I hope this helps, good luck with the 5 year old,
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com