Glue for laminated rib construction

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Oct 11 05:05:21 MDT 2007

Even clamping pressure would concern me also. I not suggesting that you can't successfully use Bolduc glue for a pinblock. For building pinblocks, because of the clamping issue, I use either epoxy or 2-part urea-formaldehyde (UF) adhesive. The UF is water cleanup. It cures rock hard and can fill any size gap. No actual clamping pressure is required (just like epoxy) - you really only clamp to position things and so that you don't have more glue than wood.

The UF adhesive I use is Unibond 800  http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm  Very easy to use.

You can also use the UF for ribs - although it leave a yellow glue line. Doesn't bother me, but it is yellow.

I've also used Bolduc and Titebond Extend for laminating ribs. Both work well. I have had a few slabs of ribs change curvature while the wood MC equilibrates with the shop. No real big deal, but if you use these water-based glues I simply suggest waiting a week or two before using them - recheck the radius to be sure of what you have. The UF avoids this concern (real or imagined).

Terry Farrell