capstan replacement on Bohemia 185

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 07:38:18 MDT 2007

On 10/11/07, piannaman at aol.com <piannaman at aol.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've heard it said that capstan friction isn't a big deal because the
> amount of sideways motion of the capstan against the wippen heal is
> minimal.  I found it interesting, then, that on a new Bohemia 185 I felt
> some roughness when playing, and was able to isolate it to the
> capstan/wippen heel interface.  The surface of the capstans was sort of
> rough, and in some instances had pronounced burrs, as well as overly defined
> (IMHO) edges.  As a temporary fix, I teflonned the heels.
>
> Bohemia (now owned by Bechstein, btw, for better or worse) said that
> they'd go with my recommendation to replace the capstans and re-regulate the
> blow distance.  The new capstans--of a completely different, polished
> texture-- arrived a couple of weeks ago.  I completed the agreed-upon task
> tonight, and when I got the action back in the piano, the difference was
> absolutely astonishing.  The action felt entirely different, far faster and
> more controllable.  Both the owner and I were quite surprised and pleased at
> the difference.
>
> Now who was it that said that capstan friction is no big to deal?  I beg
> to differ!
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Dave
>  ------------------------------
> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail<http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970>
> !

Hi Dave,
About a year and a half ago I had a call from a city 80 miles north of me
from a gentleman who had purchased a Kawai RX-5 18 months prior. During the
intervening time he had made a business trip to New York and somehow talked
his way into Steinway headquarters and was allowed to play some of the
pianos kept there for visiting artists. When he arrived home his Kawai
didn't play like those(I was thinking surprise pal you didn't buy a
Steinway)he explained he'd had 3 techs in to make it play more like a
Steinway and none had been able to. He then called Kawai who gave him MY
name( grabbing at straws I'm certain, they'd never given it out before)and
he wanted to know if I thought I could, he would pay my time and milage both
ways. I agreed and blocked out 3 days a few weeks off. I then called several
people for advice, I had some ideas but am not an expert on Steinway touch,
just very familiar w/Kawai's. I managed to talk to Don Mannino who among
other things, easing balance rail holes, using McLube on keypins, setting
key height as close to spec as possible(Kawai machines their keybeds very
carefully and key height can make a big difference) mentioned very
specifically polishing the capstans. I took along my Dremel tool and cake of
Jeweler's rouge and along with the other things polished those capstans very
carefully. When I arrived downweight was 62 grams after 2 & 1/2 days I had
it at 52 in the bass and 50 through the rest of the keyboard. The man was
smiling, even when he wrote the check!
I am a firm believer in polishing capstans, always with a cotton buffer and
jewelers rouge, it is a regular part of my regulation.
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com