capstan replacement on Bohemia 185

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 12 09:24:28 MDT 2007

Capstan friction isn't a big deal if you don't have any, or if it is acceptably low. On a properly set up action you won't have much is any friction loss there anyway because the capstan/heel interface will be on the magic line at half blow.

On a poorly set up action - likely like the one you describe - one can reduce friction a lot by polishing an otherwise rough capstan. If the interface is not on the magic line, that capstan will be doing quite a bit of traveling along the wip heel during key movement.

So the bottom line is that on a well set up action, capstan friction likely isn't a big deal. But on a poorly set up action it can be very big deal indeed. Polishing is great, but it would be best to correct the action geometry also.

Terry Farrell