capstan replacement on Bohemia 185

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 12:32:15 MDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:50:57, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Umm well, anyone who buys a Steinway?
>
> At 12:16 PM 10/12/2007 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >That's what I gather...the question is, who wants to pay to have a brand
> new
> >piano's action corrected?
>
> > In this case, the magic line = the bottom line....:-}
> >
> > Dave
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
> Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat
>
> mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com      http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
> 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
> 306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner

Hi Terry, Dave, Don,
I am the very last person to have reverence for Steinway. My feeling is they
have been selling/trading on past reputation for many years now. My point
was for the dollar he paid, he perhaps, should have expected it to play
better than it did  but versus the price of a new Steinway and the
expectations one should have considering that exorbitant price? There really
isn't a comparison, or shouldn't be since a comparable Steinway lists for 2
& 1/2 times as much! He was comparing apples and oranges, his abeit high end
production piano, versus the finely regulated (for the Steinway
professional) Steinways he managed to talk his way into playing at Steinway
NY. I would have been just as impressed if it had been a Shigero Kawai that
had been finely regulated for a Kawai artist, or a Professional Grade Yamaha
for one of their artists.

As for polishing the capstans. I was attempting to reduce the downweight of
the Kawai which normally calls for 57 grams, closer to that of a Steinway
which is 50 grams in the bass, graduating to 48 in the treble. My feeling
was I was going to use every little thing at my disposal that I had in my
arsenal including polishing capstans. If it made no difference, at least I
knew I had tried, I proceeded step by step very methodically and feel I
succeeded only because I did so. Where others had failed by trying stopgap
measures such as shortening blow distance, not starting with the keys and
never addressing the too tight repitition lever springs. As Kawai puts it's
a circle of excellence achieved step by step.

Mike
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com