1920's Wurli Grand

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Oct 12 20:25:59 MDT 2007

Brian,

In short, I'd say yes, it's still a pig.  Chances are it's probably about a 5 footer, yes?  You're not going to get "big, rich sound" out of a 5 foot anything.  You can get a "bigger, richer sound" than what it currently has, but certainly you'd need to be cautious about promising too much.  If you did a $40K redesign/rebuild, you might make even that piano sound pretty good, but why?

If it were a 6 footer or so, maybe some hope and worth improving.  Just my opinion.

William R. Monroe

  I have a client who, several years ago, bought a 1920's Wurli Grand off of e-bay.  I have been working on it regularly, tuning every 6 months so it is now up to A440. I have also reshaped the hammers.  There are a couple slight cracks in the soundboard.  The keys are "sloppy" compared to status of what they should be.  I am sure that many of you have run into a similar instrument.

  The client now wants to talk about what can be done to bring back the "big, rich sound" of a grand.  She wants to discuss string replacement as a way of getting her "grand sound".

  Is this even worthwhile?  I am afraid of doing the restringing only to have the sound fall short of what the client wants.   Should I consider the saying "Even if you put a dress and make-up on a pig.it's still a pig."?

  Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)

  R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)

  AAA Piano Works, Inc.

  Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults