1920's Wurli Grand

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sat Oct 13 11:23:36 MDT 2007

Earlier this year my shop did just such a project. And early Wurlitzer grand,
about 5' in length. (Don't ask how we came by such a piano--it's too sad a story
to repeat!)

We did pretty much as Dean described. We epoxied the soundboard (as per my
Journal articles). We moved the bass bridge forward as far as it would go
without serious plate grinding and shortened the cantilever appropriately. We
did not float the soundboard but we did thin out the area between the bass
bridge mounting foot and the inner rim. I rescaled the whole piano; it's now
nicely in the low-tension range. This included dropping the tensions through the
bass quite a bit; in this piano the wraps (which I think were original, but
couldn't tell for sure) were quite large. As were the core diameters; they are
now some thinner. The bass strings are by Arledge (though the scaling is mine)
and they do use European loops. And, of course, it got all of the usual stuff
like a new pinblock (standard, multi-lam), cleaned and reamed agraffes, dressed
V-bar, etc. The hammers are Ronsen/Bacon and, no, they did not require any
lacquer to make the piano sing.

And sing it does! No, it's not a big piano but the upper bass, tenor and treble
sections don't seem to know that. The piano is located in a small music room
about the size of a large bedroom along with several other musical instruments.
The only voicing I've done so far has been to sand the hammers a bit through the
upper tenor and treble (about 15 minutes worth) and, after the piano was
delivered, to needle down the tenor a bit. The power/sustain balance is
excellent as are the timbrel dynamics.

 Our job cost on the project was around $7,500 (including some finish work) and
the buyer is delighted. He had been on the verge of buying a somewhat more
expensive new piano until he played the Wurlitzer. We sold him the piano for
somewhat more than the street price of the various Chinese/Indonesian piano and
(sadly, after the fact) though we did make a profit on the deal we later learned
he'd have happily paid considerably more for the piano than he did! He was
simply unable to find that kind of sound in a new piano.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
620 South Tower Avenue