1920's Wurli Grand

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 11:43:26 MDT 2007

Small piano, lighter scaling, thinned sound board areas, epoxy  impedance
enhancement .  Seems like a great recipe for softer hammers  without lacquer.
It's always satisfying when these things turn out well for the  client.........&
the rebuilder.
  Dale

Earlier this year my shop did just such a  project. And early Wurlitzer
grand, about 5' in length. (Don't ask how we came  by such a piano--it's too sad a
story to repeat!)

We did pretty much as Dean  described. We epoxied the soundboard (as per my
Journal articles). We  moved the bass bridge forward as far as it would go
without serious plate  grinding and shortened the cantilever appropriately. We did
not float the  soundboard but we did thin out the area between the bass
bridge mounting foot  and the inner rim. I rescaled the whole piano; it's now
nicely in the  low-tension range. This included dropping the tensions through the
bass  quite a bit; in this piano the wraps (which I think were original, but
couldn't tell for sure) were quite large. As were the core diameters; they are
now some thinner. The bass strings are by Arledge (though the scaling is
mine) and they do use European loops. And, of course, it got all of the usual
stuff like a new pinblock (standard, multi-lam), cleaned and reamed agraffes,
dressed V-bar, etc. The hammers are Ronsen/Bacon and, no, they did not require
any lacquer to make the piano sing.

And sing it does! No, it's not a big piano  but the upper bass, tenor and
treble sections don't seem to know  that. The piano is located in a small music
room about the size of a  large bedroom along with several other musical
instruments. The only voicing  I've done so far has been to sand the hammers a bit
through the upper tenor  and treble (about 15 minutes worth) and, after the
piano was delivered, to  needle down the tenor a bit. The power/sustain balance
is excellent as are the  timbrel dynamics.

 Our job cost on the project was around  $7,500 (including some finish work)
and the buyer is delighted. He had  been on the verge of buying a somewhat
more expensive new piano until he  played the Wurlitzer. We sold him the piano
for somewhat more than the street  price of the various Chinese/Indonesian piano
and (sadly, after the fact)  though we did make a profit on the deal we later
learned he'd have happily  paid considerably more for the piano than he did!
He was simply unable to find  that kind of sound in a new piano.

Del