The $1,144 "Steinway stick"

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 13 13:09:48 MDT 2007

List

  First of all, let me share with you a great way to hang hammers.  (Maybe this has been covered already...)

  There is this tool called a "Hammer Filing Rail" available from Steinway.  It costs about $40 (usually) and is just a piece of wood the length of a grand action with a little ledge built into the top edge.  The hammer tails sit on the ledge and brace the hammers when you file them.

  It's also great to use when hanging hammers.  With the rail in place, and your guide hammers's tails on the little ledge, you can hang the new hammers by lining up their tails on the ledge and using  a straight edge to align the front and/or back of the hammer felts.  I get really good results using this method.

  I always borrowed my friend's "Steinway stick", as we used to call it, whenever I needed to hang hammers, and finally last month, I decided to buy my own.  So I called Steinway, ordered one, and put it on my credit card.

  The bill came yesterday.  Steinway had billed me $1144 for the stick.   When I talked to them, they said they accidentally charged me $1,100 for shipping, instead of $11.

  In a way, I'm lucky that the amount of overcharge was so dramatic.  If they had charged me an extra $50, I might not have noticed.   It was the huge balance on the credit card that prompted me to look to see where I had spent that much money.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago