Restring and/or Rescale? 30 YO Yamaha C3

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 13 23:18:12 MDT 2007

Over there David Stanwood has a good deal of knowledge specific to your
question.  Andre here in Europe also has built up a good deal of direct
knowledge.  I believe Stanwood often does a class about hammer felt, how
its made, what grading is about etc.

One thing I believe is part of how the grading of the felt is determined
is the fineness of the individual felt fibres themselves.  Higher grade
hammer felt is finer stuff.  More processing in this regard means
seeling out thicker stands and as such will not affect the degree of
lanolin left in the felt.  The elasticity in the individual fibres for
any raw material will be unchanged as well.   What will be changed is
the number of fibres in any given finished felt block.  At least thats
my understanding at present. Stanwood may volunteer more on the subject.

In the end tho... I have the sensation that it is easily as much the
pressing process that molds the felt into the hammer that is important
as much as the ground floor quality of the felt itself.  I cant lay any
specific scientific data on the table, but Renner Wurzen II hammers are
much nicer to work with and produce much nicer results then their Wurzen
I hammers do.  I also understand that Yamaha chooses Wurzen II for their
most expensive line and uses I for the rest at present, tho I still have
not been able to confirm directly from Yamaha that this is so.

Talk to Stanwood about felt.

RicB

    Can anyone comment about different grades of felt generally, Wurzen felt
    specifically.  Does a higher grade mean more processing
    necessarily?  If so,
    does it also mean less lanolin left in the felt, less elasticity for
    in the
    fibers or anything else that might be considered a detriment?  It
    seems to
    me that higher grade may not necessarily produce a more resilient hammer
    (felt), or better tone.  Any comments?

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com