Felt quality

Serge Harel serge.harel at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 15 18:05:30 MDT 2007

The main difference between NY hammer felt and any German felt is the
density of the strip they use.
For German in the strip of felt you got less density in the bass and much
more density in the treble and the NY hammer felt is low density all the way
with this type of felt you could not presses a hard hammer head and because
the felt price is by pounds It is cheaper.

What I can said is the difference between Grade A and AA from Wurzen is the
type of felts they use for the AA has finer fiber 19 micro and less in some
area and this is more expensive fiber and the felt is more expensive.
The felt for hammer head in Germany is a bend of different felts from all
around the world each one has different propriety the mix in the bass is not
the same that in treble and blend is different between Grade A and AA and
they are make of continuous layer of felt that main that the plate of felt
is sand to the right thickness like other do and it is very difficult to do.

The Grade AA is designs for the high tension hammer if you don't have
tension with this particular felt you lose many good thing for the quality
of sound. The are other things that I know but it is secret.

I do make cold presses hammer head with a special Wurzen AA with a lot of
tension they do not need voicing at all but I got a very low capacity of
production. I use authentic Alfred Dolge presses renowned for the tension
they give to the hammer in the gluing process.

I suggest you to invite Jack Brand from Wurzen for a class about felt at
yours next National PTG show.

Serge Harel