wacky backchecks and Knabe blow distance

Norm Barrett barr8345 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 15 19:43:09 MDT 2007

Hi Barbara,
For what its worth, I just finished working on a screwed up Samick grand
action. It was not supposed to be a full regulation and I thought it
strange that in order to get any aftertouch I had to go to 1 5/8 blow
distance. This was on key 1. I later discovered that key 88 was almost
1/8 inch higher than key 1. Just leveling out the keys to the same
height moved the capstan back enough to lift the hammer line 1/8 inch
and gave enough travel that 1 3/4 hammer blow gave plenty of aftertouch.
Norman Barrett