Replacement Keytops Pricing

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 15:55:09 MDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I am now proud to say I am an official associate member of PTG (Austin TX
> Chapter) and am looking forward to testing and RPT status in the future.  My
> question is as follows:
>
> What is a fair retail price for new white keytops?  Black Keytops?  Labor
> plus materials?  About how long does it take an experienced person (of which
> I am not in this area) to do the job?  I am looking at it as a learning
> experience so am willing to not feel like a huge profit, if any, is
> necessary.  What would be a good product choice for a Gulbransen console?
> Thanks again.
>
> Steven Hopp
> Midland TX
>
> ------------------------------
> Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop
> by today!<http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>

Hi Steven,
I do my own keytops out of necessity not any great profit motive or
enjoyment. You can find the plans for a jig to fit a miter saw at
mothergoosetools.com for keytop preparation. It is important to remove the
old glue and a small amount of wood from the keytop for a good bond with the
new glue and keytop. The glue and keytops are available from Schaff and
Pianotek, in both white and off white the off white is usually the best for
older pianos, uprights etc. I save the white/white for the better grands and
other exceptional instruments. They just look a little too white for an
average piano.
One tip, the glue PVC-E comes in a quart jar that likes to glue itself shut,
clean the threads well then put a layer of teflon tape(you'll find it in the
plumbing section at the hardware store)around the jar in the direction of
the threads then screw the lid back on, it will be removable the next time.
(Don't ask how I know this).

The sharps are also available from the same suppliers, be careful to measure
them sharps are NOT all the same they come in different heights, lengths and
when you get into replacing one or 2 on an older piano you'll discover the
angle on the front can vary drastically. When replacing a set on some older
pianos you may find you have to trim them for length

As for a retail price, that can vary from region to region and my price may
be higher or lower than the going price there. It also can vary depending on
whether the price includes leveling the keys or just removing them for
recovering and replacing them.
Whichever you choose to do it is a good idea to number them, the factory
numbers can be hard to read, when they stamp them at the factory 33, 66 and
88 all look the same. From thei position you could probably figure those out
but after you run them through the saw, the numbers may be gone! I number
them, in the piano, in back of the key buttons, before I take them. I lay
them out in order in a box, with a section of newsprint between each layer.
Good luck with it,
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com