Harpsichord Tuning Info.

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:22:05 MDT 2007

John Ross wrote:
> *Thank you, to all who replied. *
> *The info is filed away, till needed.*

For me, I'll need that info tomorrow morning, when I tune one of our 2
manuals.  I haven't tuned it since May, so I suspect it is just a tad
sharp. ;-}

One thing nobody mentioned is the very real possibility that strings may
be broken or break whilst you are present. The room is currently in use,
so I can't confirm, but if it went much more than 150¢ sharp over the
summer, there may be some popped. It is NOT piano wire. Ask if the
customer has a supply of spares (many owners do) and also a stringing
schedule. Allow for the possibility of a return visit after obtaining
the necessary strings.

Some tuning pins are tapered, oval tipped and don't have becket holes.
These features scare away a lot of piano tuners, but methods of dealing
with them have been discussed here in the past. Fear not. It isn't
rocket science, and no big whoop after you've done one or two.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel