How to remove PVA glued hammers. ( With electric shank pliers. )

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 19:44:26 MDT 2007

     Also heating them ( the shanks by the joint ) up.
 PVA softens with heat:  just not as easily as hide
glue. ( Gee, I wish somebody'd come up with something
that works just like hide glue, but wasn't made of
killed animals, or stinks so much !!!  )
     Speaking of which : I used to do this easily with
the electric shank-twisting pliers that Pianotek sold
( for, like, $250 ) but the elements burned out.
Anyone know how/where to get replacements ???? )
    I might try to make some by buying a Schaff pair,
then flattening out the cauls ( so they aren't curved
) but this other pair is just so slick looking that I
hate to  throw them in the scrap-metal bucket !!! )
     I think they're only German professional hair
curling irons, modified, but don't speak German and
can't, therefore, write the manufacturer. ( Whose name
is on the elements, in teeny, tiny letters. )