How to remove PVA glued hammers.

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 22:27:34 MDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you guys want to sit around while heat warms the glue be my guest.
> I have better things to do. Read the post again, I'm not rotating the
> hammer
> on the shank as in burning-in. The hammers have to be rehung at 90 degrees
> to the shank because they are pitched back a few degrees causing them
> to understrike.
>
> I want to remove the hammers from the shanks in the most expedient manner.
> I'll need to use a tapered reamer to enlarge the hole so as to alter
> the bore angle
> and reattach with Bolduc glue.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Hi Jon,
There's no sitting around to it, a few seconds per few hammers since a heat
gun will heat 2 or 3 at a time and you can hold the gun with one hand,
hopefully you've already clamped all the shanks, so all you have to do is
pull the hammers off, one by one with the other hand. When you're done you
can ream them, remove the old glue from the shanks and you're all set to go.
You don't even have to remove the shanks and flanges from the stack, which
I'm guessing you had to do if you're pounding them off with a mallet!
Alternately put them under a "brooder lamp" one of those clamp on jobs with
the aluminum reflector for a minute or so then slide them out the other side
and pull them off, a few at a time allowing new ones to be heated/softened.
I use that method for keytop removal. Either method is a lot easier on the
hammers, shanks and flange joints.

Good Luck,
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com