can you say "damper lift rod" in German??

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Oct 20 14:43:12 MDT 2007

You don't need to weld OR replace the rod.  It is very repairable, I've done it several times.  Buy some steel rod of appropriate diameter.  Home depot often has this in the hardware section with the steel stock.  In a pinch you can use welding rod or check local hobby stores.  File any remaining broken piece flat.  You can try punching it out if the hole goes all the way though.  If not then carefully drill it out.  If you are real skilled about it your can make the hole just slightly smaller then the rod.  Cut the rod to the appropriate length and force fit it into the hole with a hammer.  If done correctly it should be tight enough to work.  If in doubt or if the hole is too big you can solder it in.  Clean the new piece and the area around the hole really good.  Using some plumbers solder, brush-on flux paste, and a basic propane torch you should be able to solder it right in.  You can use rosin core solder as an alternative to flux paste but it tends to burn easy and then it won't stick to anything.  Another alternative is using some good quality epoxy although I prefer the above two methods.  When you are finished clean it up real well and bend the wire to the proper angle.  Avoid nicking or scratching the new piece or it will prematurely wear out the bushing.  For a professional touch spray on a couple coats of clear lacquer or poly in the repaired area to help keep it from rusting.

Good luck.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Hello all,

  I've got a client who has a Rieger-Kloss (Bohemia) vertical piano that has a broken damper rod "hook."  The client has the broken off piece, but I'd like to figure out if it might be better to get a new lift rod than have the old one welded.  In either case, the rod will have to be removed.

  If anyone on the list knows the proper terminology--in german!--for damper lift rod, I'd appreciate it.  Attempts to make the US distributors understand what I'm talking about have been fruitless.

  Jurgen, Ric, are you out there???

  Thanks,

  Dave