Vertical hitchpins ?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 21 09:41:07 MDT 2007

>  A question  on vertical hitch pins which Ive installed throughout the
> bass bridge and transition bridge.
>
>  1-When you adjust the hitch loop height with vertical hitchpins, do you do it
> at tension, or must the  tension be lowered?

At tension. The loop height on the hitch determines the
bearing angle, which determines the bearing load on the
bridge, which determines the deflection of the soundboard,
which determines loop height to get the bearing you want, etc.

>  2-I made a simple brass tool tool to tap the loop down.  I initially set the
> loop height at the maximum on the theory that its easier to make adjustments
> going down to the plate rather than coming up from the plate.

So far so good.

> However, how do you bring the loop up on the pin?  In some places I can lever it
> up, but only in a couple places, and I really  don't want to do that anyway
> because it destroys the plate finish.  I was thinking about Joe Goss's impact
> coil lifter, as a solution, but I dont have his tool and I doubt it would fit
> behind most of the hitchpins...they are really close to the rim.

I made an impact lifter when I strung my first Accujust
equipped Baldwin. I've also pried them up with a screwdriver
with a sliver of maple underneath to protect the plate. If
there's no other way you can find, let tension down on one
string at a time and slide the loop up, then restore tension.

>  3-The word is that the maximum height of the loop off plate seems to be 5mm.
> Will the strings be pitch stable at that 5 mm height?.
>
>  Jim I

Why wouldn't they be?
Ron N