Appraising follow up

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 21 22:18:55 MDT 2007

> While I certainly applaud those who seek and attain RPT status, its
> significance is primarily internal, that we, by social contract in our
> association, wish to provably raise the level of our techinical
> expertise by taking examinations which, as we all know, at 80% are
> marginal at best.

While I'd love to be able to see the attainment of RPT status
as a declaration of intent to acquire further education, it
doesn't necessarily work that way. As I see it, it doesn't
matter what the lip tattoo says. Glue pot Dobbin and
Seabiscuit aren't functionally interchangeable by virtue of
each having passed the minimum equine quadruped test. The
label means jack (no offense Jack), and the sooner we get past
the qualification designations and start taking this stuff
personally, the better our chances of learning something
useful from the whole thing. Maybe we should possibly focus on
what there is to learn instead of who wears what hat to
church. The stuff is the thing, not the thing.
Ron N