Appraising follow up

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:10:03 MDT 2007

Dean May wrote:
> For someone who has been in the business a long time I’m struggling with
> your comment that appraising is waaay beyond your experience. You don’t
> really have to be in the business of selling, just be observant. Pay
> attention to what pianos are selling for in the store. When you get a
> customer that just bought a piano ask them how much they gave for it.
> Take note of the piano’s style and condition. After awhile you get a
> feel for 2 levels of fair market values: store selling prices and
> private transaction selling prices. And there is one more price you need
> to worry about: replacement value. When writing an appraisal for sale
> you worry about the first two. When writing one for insurance you worry
> about the latter.
>
> And I’d have to say if you’ve been in the business for awhile and
> haven’t sold any pianos, you may be missing out on a good additional
> income stream. At least once or twice a year I’ll come across a piano
> that has to be moved out right away. You can often pick up a decent
> console or spinet in the $100-$300 range, sometimes free. Clean it up,
> give it a pitch raise, slap a one year warranty on it, offer free
> delivery, and you’ve got a great $950 - $1500 starter piano for someone.
> All that’s required is the next time someone asks, “Do you buy/sell
> pianos?” you say, “Sure, sometimes, what do you have/need?”

Fair comments but, for myself and probably Dave Porritt, being a college
tech means NOT being "in the store" to observe piano prices/conditions.
  The last time I sold a piano from here it was basically salvage and NO
money was made.  In fact, the last piano (dormPSO) the college unloaded
went out on an auction while I was on vacation this summer.  I have no
idea what they got for it.

I could tell you much of what might be wrong with any given instrument,
and even what might be right with it. However, I'm so far out of the
market, I can't even see it.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel