Appraising follow up

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 13:30:50 MDT 2007

If the RPT label should not be used as the credibility factor, then the question begs to be asked,?what does give a piano appraiser credibility? Does one have to be a piano technician for?20 years, (or 10 or 30), or?own a piano retail store,?or be a piano salesman for 1 year, or teach?lessons to 5 year olds?

?

According to the article, the requirements to be a "qualified appraiser" the?individual "has earned an appraisal designation from a recognized professional appraiser organization". Do we have one of those in the piano industry? Is attending an appraising class at a seminar or convention qualify as having "earned an appraisal designation", or?should there be more involved?? ?"Has met certain minimum education and experience requirements". What are the "minimum education and experience requirements"???Again, does attending a class or two qualify, or should one know how to completely rebuild a piano before knowing how to appraise one? "Regularly prepares appraisals for which he/she is paid".? Define "regularly".?Someone has to start somewhere, so do the first dozen or so not count? And last, "demonstrates varifiable education and experience in valuing the property".?

?

These requirements are so vague, I don't believe there really is a requirement. Again, because there is no?"real" qualification to be a piano?appraiser, it would seem to me that almost anything that might have some sort of credibility should be better than none at all.??I must reiterate, being an RPT by itself does not make a piano technician an appraiser. But what criteria?does?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT

Piano Tuner/Technician

Honolulu, HI

Author of