world traveling pianos

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Oct 23 18:48:06 MDT 2007

Howdy all,

Caterpillar Inc is headquartered here in Peoria, Illinois.   They transfer their workers to places all over the world.  I've seen a few "interesting" pianos that folks have brought with them.  Today I did a service bond tuning for a family from Belgium.  Typically folks from places other than the US, are only here for a few years.  I talked with the customer about this and she acknowledged that they didn't know where they would be going next--maybe Asia.  She said, "Then we would have to sell the piano because a piano made for the United States wouldn't do well in Asia."

Hmm, I thought it was the other way around.  I would have called Yamaha and asked, but I got busy "after school."  I would think that as long as there are DC systems and electrical adapters, a piano made for the North American continent would be OK over there.

Mark Wisner?  Don Mannino?  Anyone?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois