hammer bore distance

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 10:40:48 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/23/2007 7:45:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Someone with the proper engineering vocabulary can give the proper
explanation but I think it has to do with changing vectors as the hammer and shank
travel in a circle.

I'm not an engineer, but the point of least sliding of the
knuckle-to-repetition lever contact point is when it is on a line drawn between the shank pin
and the repetition pin. In most actions, the contact point at rest is already
below the line, and it only barely crosses it at letoff; so lowering the shank
makes for even more sliding at startup and therefore more friction.

Bob Davis