Hot Hide Glue Problem

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Thu Oct 25 18:41:38 MDT 2007

I mixed up some hot hide glue yesterday. The crystals were from a package
(my first/only) which I've had for about six months. I have successfully
mixed glue from it in the past, but yesterday it never set up hard. It dried
about the consistency of rubber cement (but nowhere nearly as sticky!)
Every time I've mixed it before I've just made a WAG at quantities (cover
dry crystals with water, per someone on this list) and stuck it in my hot
water pot, set at 140F.

I cleaned it all out and tried it again tonight, but this time I weighed out
1oz crystals and slightly under 2oz H2O (per recipe on the 'net). Same
result. Very gummy, tho' I don't chew gum and don't think this stuff'll make
me want to start!!

Any idea what could possibly be going wrong??

Thanks,
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN