Upright pinblock question

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun Oct 28 00:17:28 MDT 2007

I use 6 eight inch C clamps.
I do it before bringing to pitch. Sometimes it will come up in pitch, quite a bit with the clamps.

Mind you, I like Terry's idea of monitoring, to see if there is a drop in pitch, before doing anything, because it is such a small separation.

The C clamps could be put in place, to act as insurance, that it wouldn't suddenly come apart and break the plate.
I remember when a plate broke on me, the first time I ran into the problem, back in the 70's. I couldn't see the pinblock, as the top cover was split, and glued down over the top, with a hinge in the middle.
I couldn't figure out why the piano kept dropping in pitch, as I brought it up to pitch.
Then there was a big bang, and the top of the plate came forward 6". I nearly had a kitten.
Since then, if a large pitch raise is required, I always, make sure that I can see the top of the pinblock to make sure there is no separation.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca