Steinway balance rail bearings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 28 14:30:55 MST 2007

> I don't recall Steinway (half-round) balance rail bearings being
> discussed on the lists anytime recently.
>
> What is the minimum thickness of paper punchings that should be put
> under the bearings to promote quiet operation?

Don't know. I like at least 0.010".

> What are the arguments against these bearings -- besides the fact that
> they can be noisy, make the use of Rawson leveling tabs problematic, and
> make it difficult for Stanwood installers to tweak the key ratio with
> veneer shims?
>
> Kent Swafford

Other than being potentially noisy, I don't have anything
against them other than they take up space that a key
stiffening shoe might otherwise occupy. The folks using half
punchings are just doing what the half dowel already does -
keeping the pivot point close to the same spot throughout the
key stroke, where with a flat punching, it moves at least half
the width of the punching during the stroke.

My take.
Ron N