String spacing problem

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Oct 28 20:29:29 MST 2007

When I find strings touching each other like that, I always look at the
grooves in the hammers before doing anything. Generally the grooves match
the current position of the strings, so I leave bad enough alone. Aside from
the possibility of pitching a filing job, isn't that the best
(non-)solution?  If you space the strings properly, you'll find new felt for
at least one of them, meaning the other two won't sound at all. Of course
striking one string with "new" felt and a properly shaped impact point might
sound better than slamming all three with that flattened spot.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN